CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 5, 2008

888 Challenge

What I'm reading: Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas & Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz.
What I'm working on: Plot points for The Slayer's Circle and getting the next chapter ready for some crits.

Tomorrow, I'll be posting over at Affairs of the Pen. Alyson put up a great post today and I'll be piggy-backing it tomorrow with some goal comments and other ideas. Tomorrow, I'll also be posting my writing goals here for the world to see.

One of the topics covered in Alyson's post is about challenges. She posts some great blogs/websites for lots of challenges -- most of them reading challenges, but not all. I decided to take on one of them: The 888 Challenge.

The goal is to read 8 books each in 8 different categories in 2008. You're allowed 8 overlaps in categories so that the total number of books read is a minimum of 56. You get to pick the categories. Look at some other people's lists. You'll see a wide variety.

I'm posting mine below. I've cheated with the last category and I know it, so deal with it. Also, one of my categories is for short stories & novellas by CFRWA writers. (Go CFRWA!!)

Anyway, check it out. Join me if you want. If you join me, post your list and come back and leave me a comment so I can check out your list.

Macy

***********************

888 Challenge
*8 books/8 categories* (allowed 8 overlaps) for a total of 56 books
(Overlaps in color)

I. Silhouette Desire books (Okay, so, yeah, I've been thinking of writing some of these. It's by far my favorite category line. And Rocki's book -- #1 on the list -- got me hooked on a little mini-series.)
1. The CEO’s Scandalous Affair (The Garrison’s) by Roxanne St. Claire [Finished 1/4/08]
2. Seduced by the Wealthy Playboy (The Garrison’s) by Sara Orwig (Silhouette Desire series – The Garrison’s)
3. Millionaire’s Wedding Revenge (The Garrison’s) by Anna Depalo
4. Stranded with a Tempting Stranger (The Garrison’s) by Brenda Jackson
5. Secrets of the Tycoon’s Bride (The Garrison’s) by Emilie Rose
6. The Executive’s Surprise Baby (The Garrison’s) by Catherine Mann
7. Married or Not? By Annette Broadrick
8. TBA


II. Continue 8 series I’ve already started
1. Blood Fever by Karen Marie Moning (2nd in Moning’s Fever series)
2. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (Final installment of G&TB series)
3. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers (3rd in the Twilight series)
4. Blue-eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas (follow-up to Sugar Daddy)
5. Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz (2nd in Power of Five series)
6. Seduced by the Wealthy Playboy (The Garrison’s) by Sara Orwig (Silhouette Desire series – The Garrison’s)
7. Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockman (Trouble Shooters series) (Yep, it's the first, but I'm not reading in order.)
8. It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Chicago Stars series) (Yep, it's the first, but I'm not reading in order.)

III. Young Adult
1. Raven’s Gate by Anthony Horowitz
2. Point Blanc by Anthony Horowitz
3. Green Angel by Alice Hoffman
4. Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
5. Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers (3rd in the Twilight series)
6. Over Sea, Under Stone: Book 1 of the Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
7. TBA
8. TBA


IV. Book Club books (TBA – of course – as we select them). The rest of the list is subject to alteration if there are overlaps here.
1. Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas (Discussion on January 14th)
2. TBA
3. TBA
4. TBA
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBA
8. TBA

V. Published Novellas/Short Stories by CFRWA Friends
1. ‘Tis the Silly Season by Roxanne St. Claire (novella in A Nascar Holiday)
2. The Fortune Teller’s Lay (coming soon from the Wilder Rose Press) by Lara Dien
3. Hurricane Breeze (coming soon from the Wild Rose Press) by Terry Odell
4. Becoming My Mother, and Other Things I Learned from Jane Austin by Nancy Robards Thompson (in the Like Mother, Like Daughter anthology)
5. In Time for Christmas by Cheryl Alldredge (from Coffee Time Romance) [Finished 1/5/08]
6. Christmas at Home by Leanne L. Burroughs (in the Christmas Wishes Anthology) [Finished 1/5/08]

7. Poor Me by Dara Edmondson & Raina Edmondson (Wild Rose Press)
8. Eyes of the Dead by Aleka Nakis (Resplendence Publishing)

VI. Books by Authors I Haven’t Yet Read
1. Lay that Trumpet in Our Hands by Susan Carol McCarthy
2. Moongazer by Marianne Mancusi
3. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
4. The Kommandant’s Girl by Pam Jenoff
5. Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas
6. TBA
7. TBA
8. TBA

VII. Audio Books
1. The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
2. Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer
3. Blood Fever by Karen Marie Moning (2nd in Moning’s Fever series)
4. TBA
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBA
8. TBA

VIII. The “I’m Fickle and I Know I’ll Want to Add/Change Along the Way and this Category Lets Me and I Don’t Care if it is Cheating” Category.
All of this category is TBA & I’ll list them as I go.

5 comments:

Lara Dien said...

I like your list .... some really good romance stories there LOL.

I went to the challenge blog ... oh, lord. If no one hears from me for a week or two, I'm lost in a list of books. Think I'm going to have to look at this one tomorrow!

Lorena

Katie Reus said...

Wow, that's a little too intense for me, I think I'll stick to two books a week, any genre, lol! But I do like the idea of reading more stories by CFRW members. Keep us up to date on the challenge! :)

Dara Edmondson said...

Too much for me, too - but I'm curious to see if you do it. Judging by your huge reading list from '07, I'll bet on you.

Macy O'Neal said...

Did I mention that I almost never watch TV? Sometimes I watch "what not to wear" on Fridays and I'll probably watch some American Idol, but I generally read instead of watching TV. And.... alot of what I read, I read on "CD" as I go to work (alot more than 8 books so I'll have plenty of overlap there) or on my Ipod while I workout. That helps alot. I have an Audible membership and get a book a month from them, plus the library has a big assortment.

Hmmm... we'll see how long it takes me to change this, although I did try to leave myself some wiggle room.

Macy

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.